Monday, March 4, 2013

My Perfect Sweater!

Back in the fall I saw a tweet from Ysolda Teague about an online class she was planning on teaching in the spring called "Your Perfect Sweater." I already own her amazing book Little Red in the City, and have always liked her designs, so I jumped at the chance, and signed up the same day.

I've not knit a sweater for myself... yet. I've always wanted to, but I'm just super nervous about shaping. Taking on a sweater is such a big project and I'm such a slow knitter, that though I like making them, I rather not invest the time to end up with something that looks just OK.
Blank Canvas by Ysolda Teague

Hopefully, now things will change. I've been waiting excitedly, and finally it has begun! The pattern that came with the class is called Blank Canvas, a simple bottom-up in-the-round sweater using DK weight yarn. One of the first things the class will talk about is choosing yarn for our desired pattern.
I’ve been thinking of what yarns I could use, determined to use something from stash, and came up with 3 candidates:
  • Fyberspates Scrumptious Solid DK, which I got when I visited London on my honeymoon, was my first choice, since it’s a wool/silk blend. Unfortunately, I only have ~875 meters, and since I estimate my chest size to be around 36-38”, I either have juuust enough or am short by 70 meters or so (and I didn’t even consider swatching yet).
  • Malabrigo Yarn Rios in Archangel is my next choice. I got plenty of yarn, but it’s a bit thicker than DK. I guess I’ll have to see how the swatching goes.
  • Finally, there’s Fable Handknit Pure Baby Alpaca. Once again, plenty of yarn, but I’m worried that since it’s pure alpaca, it’ll act completely different than a wool blend.
Anyways, since I’m not really a swatcher, I’m looking forward to swatching, and swatching well. (^_^)v

No comments:

Post a Comment