Sunday, September 15, 2013

Summer Fun

Part 1:
Over the summer we've been doing a few small things that I just haven't had the time to write about. I'm personally not a big fan of summer, but I like swimming, so my plan for this summer was to go to the beach every weekend. This unfortunately didn't happen, as the weather kept interfering, being nice and sunny during the week and rainy on the weekends. At one point, our friends just decided to hell with the weather, and go no matter what, as it will be one of the last times for all of us to be able to hang out together before some of them left Japan for good. When the weekend came (on July 28th), it was quite hot, but still had a slight rain. Since the beach was some distance away, and it promised to clear up, we decided to go anyways, and take our chances. 
Rini has only been to the beach once last year, when she was still only 4 months old. Being July that time as well, the water was still a bit chilly, and the beach we visited (Sensui-jima, near Tomo) was quite rocky, making it hard for me to hold her and walk while in the water. Needless to say, we didn't much enjoy it, and I was determined to show her the fun side of being in the water this time around. We packed our new bathing suits, sunblock, food, and other small things, and off we went!
This time we went to Innoshima, which holds a Japanese Pirate festival every August with some amazing fireworks. I've visited this island and the festival shortly after I arrived in Fukuyama the first time, and remembered how nice and sandy it was. We arrived after about an hour or so traveling, but unfortunately it was still raining slightly. At least it was really hot, and we couldn't wait to get into the water. My memory for once didn't disappoint, the beach was indeed nice and sandy. 
We changed quickly and Rini and I headed to the water. Unfortunately, it was a bit cold, so I tried to move around a bit with her in my arms. She liked it well, I suppose, and splashed around a bit, but the chilliness of the water and the slight rain was pretty distracting. Rini was also just getting over a cold, so we didn't stay in the water long. After toweling her up a bit, I let her play in the sand for a bit more with James around, as I took a small lap in the sea. After a few minutes, I came to check on Rini and she seemed cold, so we just decided to get dressed again. Luckily Innoshima is one of those beaches that has a hot shower available for a few hundred yen, and I was glad for it. I didn't quite realize just how cold I felt, until Rini and I were standing under the warm shower.
She was walking just like her dad at her age:
hands behind her back.
Once we got dressed, all of us decided to just go. Our blanket was wet, the food was getting wet, the rain just did not stop. It was also quite a different feeling dealing with the rain now that in the morning. In the morning we were hot and it was nice and cooling, but now after the warm shower, it was just plain cold, and all I wanted to do was to stay dry. We headed back to the bus, and while we were waiting, ate some yummy ice cream.
In the end, I'm glad we went and spent time with our friends, and I wish we could have gone again on a nice summer day. Maybe next year!

Family photo on the bus back. Rini passed out almost as soon as we got on.
Part 2:
Next weekend (August 4th) the weather was once again too cool and sunless to swim, but I was still determined to not let the summer just go by. We decided to just hop on the bus to Tomo and spend some time there. Tomo is a nice old town, which is officially part of Fukuyama city. It's famous for quite a few things, like being the inspiration to Hayao Miyazaki for his movie "Ponyo," or boasting of the most beautiful view this side of the country, or the new Wolverine movie being shot there, or finally, some of my past schools being here as well. And they got sea salt ice cream, which is always worth to buy when in the area. So we went and walk around a bit, appreciating the beauty of the old houses, and eating some ice cream.
Rini got to re-try finally the first non-breastmilk food she ever had. She definitely liked it!

No comments:

Post a Comment