Saturday, July 10, 2010

2 Weeks...

Two weeks from now at this time I'll be at the Ambassador's residence in my business casual outfit, enjoying the JET Program's Farewell Reception, which, if the lunch at the optional Pre-Departure Orientation is any indication, will be very delicious. By that point, I also have met all the other JETs leaving from New York City, including at least one person who will be living/working in Fukuyama City (in Hiroshima Prefecture) as well, just like I will be, and have hopefully fully packed as well, and will be ready to go.

Two weeks at this point seem both too short and too long, depending on the angle from which I view them.
If it has to do with preparation, it feels too short. Although I have by now bought 95% of the clothes, accessories, and school supplies I think I'll need for Japan, I still have to find small omiyage (presents) for at least 4-5 people, who I don't know yet, but will one way, shape, or form be responsible for me. I also need to figure out what knitting knick-knacks I want to bring, a job which, I assure you, is not in the least bit small. Not to mention, I still have to actually pack to see what fits and what doesn't. Luckily, my predecessor emailed me a couple days ago with a few details about my apartment and the area around it, but I'm still waiting for her answer to a hundred other questions I sent to her in reply (including helpful suggestions of what (not) to pack).
On the other hand, the time feels too long, because I'm so super excited to go, that if everything else would be in order, I would have jumped on the plane already. But that's just me and my impatience.

I do have to mention that over the past couple of weeks I came to believe JET did its best to place me in the exact opposite situation that I've asked for... Yes, they did ask what I'd prefer on several occasions, making me think I might actually get something out of it. (>_<) But no, so now I'm hoping... no... I'm determined to make this such an experience, where I can say a year from now that it was more than worth it even with all those unfavorable circumstances! ^_^

Wish me luck to pack on time, or better yet, let me know if you want to come over and help! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment